Well that was an interesting hour
wasted spent updating SVN.
I found this write up on how to perform this update and ran into quite a few problems. The first is if you get a “cannot compile C programs” you probablt build the wrong symbolic link. If you are on Mavericks, this needs to be:
sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/ /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/OSX10.9.xctoolchain/
Then the next error I had was “
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.” which probably mean you don’t have the command line tools installed along with XCode so run this:
Then carry on with the rest of the command in the write up. I also didn’t have a bash profile setup so do this:
cd ~/ (changes to your user home directory)
touch .bash_profile (creates a bash profile file)
open ~/.bash_profile (opens the bash profile you just created)
Place this in your newly created bash profile:
Save and close the file, then log off OSX and then log in again. This forces the system to read the new bash profile file and execute any commands it finds in there. Then open another Terminal window and execute the following command:
This should now correctly report than you are using SVN version 1.8.0 (or whatever version you initially downloaded).